Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Bob Ross


About a year ago Bob Ross was victim to the Media General layoffs. He is a well known movie critic and wrote for the Tampa Tribune for 21 years.



When Mr. Thelen told us we were going to hear from a movie critic, I didn’t really know what to expect. I thought of the stereotypical, mean, recluse. I thought he would be stuck on his opinions, thought it would he his way or no way. But I was wrong…



He definitely has his opinions about movies but he is very grounded and knows that everyone has a right to their own opinion.



“I had a position of false power,” said Ross, “Just because I write for a newspaper doesn’t mean my opinion is the only one or the best one.”



It was definitely interesting to listen to Ross talk about the future of movies. Since it is easy to download movies and watch them at their home theater with a wide screen T.V. and surround sound people are not inclined to pay for a ticket.



“3D IMAX version could save the theater from the online medium,” said Ross.



Before he left, he left us with one reminder,



“Anyone who writes for a newspaper and thinks they have power is delusional.”

No comments:

Post a Comment